The Student Voice of The Crusaders

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

Playoff Preview: Football

November is here and many of the sports teams at Gibbons are gearing up for the postseason.

The Crusaders are heading into the football playoffs with a lot of momentum and confidence. The team is currently on a six-game winning streak and has outscored their combined last six opponents 280-45.

The NCHSAA state playoffs brackets are out and the Crusaders have been placed as the 5th seed and are paired against the 28th-seeded team Overhills High School. The game will be held this Friday here at home and it will be an exciting game to watch. The winner of this contest will play against the winner of Millbrook and Heritage the following week, and if this game goes as planned the second round will also be played here at home. 

Despite the fact that Gibbons is favored to win the game, anything can happen during the playoffs. The Overhills Jaguars have an overall record of 5-5 , but have bounced back in the last six weeks after losing the first four games of the season. They are ranked 76th in the NCHSAA 4A division by Maxpreps.com. Even though there is little competition they have played that the Crusaders have any reference to, the Jaguars did play against Leesville earlier this year and lost 28-0.

This should be a big confidence booster for the team considering they just beat a Leesville team later on in the season this past weekend. The East division of the bracket is definitely stacked with a lot of good teams but the Crusaders definitely have a chance to make a competitive run for the championship game.

Last year: 9-3, Lost in the second round of the state playoffs to Millbrook 42-30
Current record: 8-2, six-game win streak
Current Standings: 1st in the CAP-6, ranked 14th in the 4A state rankings by Maxpreps
Previous games: CAP-6 championship game vs Leesville, 33-23 win
Upcoming game: First round of NCHSAA 4A Football playoffs, game vs Overhills