Do Uniforms Negatively Affect Students?

Cardinal Gibbons students in uniform

At Gibbons, freshmen, sophomores, and juniors are required to wear uniforms. People often argue about the benefits and drawbacks of wearing uniforms. Some studies show how uniforms can affect a student; others show no difference.

Some people argue that uniforms reduce distractions and drive kids to be more attentive in the classroom. This study was conducted by Baumann and Krskova in 2016. They suggested that uniforms enhanced discipline which allowed for better learning. Although, Hattie and Gentile’s research found that uniforms made no difference. 

Arya Ansari led another study and found that kids felt less socially connected with their teachers and classmates. She thinks it is because of the lack of individuality. Fashion is a healthy way for students to express themselves, and taking that away takes students’ confidence. 

Uniforms have been found to affect students positively. Yeung’s study proved that students are safer and more disciplined with uniforms. They also increase a student’s attendance, but only by a very small amount. 

Other studies highlight the difference in school during dress-down days. They say students are much more chaotic and less focused on those days. Although, others have pointed out that this may only be because this day is seen as “special.”

Lindsey Klemick says uniforms, “make it easier to focus” but also that they “make it harder to see peoples personality and individuality.”

A study was done by a group of students from the University of Navada. They found 90% of students do not like wearing uniforms, but they decrease gang involvement and bullying.  They did numerous polls and found 50% agrees they save money on clothing. 42% say they worry less about appearances.

In the Nevada study, they also found police data showed a 63% reduction in police log reports during the first year it was used. They also reported a decrease in graffiti and property damage.

School uniforms are also used as a way to make students equal. It creates the idea that no matter what background they are coming from, everyone is equal. One student cannot wear fancier clothes than another. This also makes schools more unified, and people think it helps with teamwork. 

Overall, uniforms do not affect students noticeably. Creating the best school environment takes more than only changing a student’s wardrobe.