The Student Voice of The Crusaders

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

The Top 13 Home Games Left For The Fall Season: Don’t Miss Out!

With most of the season halfway through and already nearing playoffs, games for all the teams are becoming more and more intense. Results are crucial to standings, approaching the state championship, and teams are scrambling to make their way to the top. These are the games you need to watch to see the best action of this fall season.

September 27th – Men’s Soccer vs. Leesville Road

Coming into this game, Cardinal Gibbons and Leesville are sitting in the standings with similar records. Looking at their opponents, Leesville won 5-2 against Franklin Academy, while our boys team tied Franklin Academy 0-0. However, the Gibbons team beat Millbrook by an impressive 7-0 score, whereas Leesville suffered a loss to Millbrook by a score of 2–. Both teams have played very few conference games, so this matchup will be an interesting opportunity to see what the future holds for both sides. The teams play on Wednesday, September 27th at 6:30 p.m.

September 28th – Women’s Tennis vs. Leesville Road

With so far an amazing season, this game will not dare to disappoint. The teams sports a 14-2 record, with their only losses coming to Leesville and Chapel Hill. These two teams played on September 12th and it was a very close game, with the Crusaders losing 5-4. Looking for a win this time, Cardinal Gibbons and Leesville will battle again on Thursday, September 28th at 3:30 p.m.

October 5th – Women’s Tennis vs. Millbrook

Another great opportunity to watch this team play, the Crusaders take on Millbrook on October 5th. Cardinal Gibbons has not yet faced the Millbrook Wildcats, who have a perfect conference record of 7-0 and a similar record of 10-1 overall. This will most definitely be an action-filled match-up, and supporters can come out to watch on Thursday, October 5th at 4:00 p.m.

October 7th – Cross Country at Great American XC Festival

Both the boys and girls cross country teams will be racing at the Great American XC Festival, against a wide array of teams. Coming off two back-to-back wins, the girls cross country team is looking to add to their success and bring home another title. The boys side is hoping to win and place high at Great American, after finishing second at the Knights Crossing Invitational in Salem, Virginia. The team is aiming to continue to improve and get ready for states. They will be running on Saturday morning, October 7th at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary.

October 10th – Volleyball vs. Sanderson

So far this season, the Cardinal Gibbons Varsity Volleyball team is off to a great start. They are at the top of the conference, with a 3-0 record, while Sanderson is currently sitting 1-2. Gibbons recently pulled out a win over Sanderson, 3-0, on September 21st. Both teams are looking to win the conference championship, and each game won is another box to check off towards that goal. The rematch is set to be played on Tuesday, October 10th at 6:00 p.m.

October 11th – Field Hockey vs. East Chapel Hill

The field hockey team at Cardinal Gibbons has started out the season on a 5-1 record, and 1-0 record in conference play. On Wednesday, September 20th, East Chapel Hill and Cardinal Gibbons faced off at East Chapel Hill. Cardinal Gibbons came away with the win, scoring 3-2. These two teams are highly competitive and Gibbons will be looking for another win against East on Wednesday, October 11th at 6:30 p.m.

October 12th – Men’s Soccer vs. Enloe

Similarly, the soccer team recently took on Enloe for the first time this season. While the team eventually lost, the game was tight, with a 4-3 scoreline favoring Enloe. It is the beginning of the season, so standings in the conference are still very fluid. Looking towards this game, it could be a pivotal point in the season, nearing playoffs, and it will be important to the overall success of the team. Looking for a win this time around, Cardinal Gibbons and Enloe face off again on Thursday, October 12th at 6:30 p.m.

October 13th – Football vs. Sanderson

The football team currently sports a 3-2 record, with no conference games yet played. Playing only each team in the conference once, all conference games will be critical to gaining a high ranking going into the playoffs. Sanderson holds the same record to Cardinal Gibbons, with 3 wins to 2 losses. This will be a competitive game, and having fans will hopefully help boost the team (and chase away any bad luck brought on by Friday the 13th). The teams play on Friday, October 13th at 6:00 p.m.

October 18th – Field Hockey vs. Chapel Hill

Both of these teams have started out strong this season, with Cardinal Gibbons boosting a 5-1 record and 1-0 record in conference play. Similarly, Chapel Hill has an undefeated 6-0 record, and also holds a 1-0 conference record. Both of these teams are tied for first in the NCFHA East Field Hockey Standings, along with Carrboro High School. The Crusaders and the Tigers play against each other twice this season, with the first game on Monday, October 2nd, and the Gibbons home game being on Wednesday, October 18th at 6:30 p.m.

October 23rd – Men’s Soccer vs Athens Drive

With a comparable standing in the conference, this game between Cardinal Gibbons and Athens Drive will be a competitive duel. Both teams currently have one loss, but the Athens Drive Jaguars have one win to balance out their record. The two teams have not yet played this year, but with this game being towards the end of the season, right before playoffs, it is a necessary win to help in the postseason games. To watch these two teams, show up at Gibbons on Monday, October 23rd at 6:30 p.m to cheer them on and support our players.

October 23rd – Women’s Golf at NCHSAA Regional Championship

Also on October 23rd, the women’s golf team will play at the NCHSAA Regional Championship. Coming first in all of their meets so far, the golf team is looking for a win to advance to the state championship. They will go up against the top teams in the All American, Big Carolina, CAP-6, Greater Neuse River, Mideastern, Northern Athletic, and United 8 conferences. This event will be hosted on Monday, October 23rd at The Emerald Golf Club.

October 27th – Football vs. Leesville

The last game before playoffs for the Crusaders football will be at home against Leesville High School. Leesville has a 4-1 record, and are a team to look out for, as the state championship is nearing. Rounding out the season with a win would be an important booster going into the playoffs. These teams will play on Friday, October 27th at 7:00 p.m.

October 30-31 – Women’s Golf at NCHSAA State Championship 

With a win looking imminent at the NCHSAA Regionals, the Cardinal Gibbons Women’s Golf team is hoping to end up at the state championship. One individual to look for is Mary Elizabeth Harrison, who recently finished first at the CAP-6 conference championship and also won the CAP-6 conference player of the year. Cardinal Gibbons will hopefully be in the state finals on October 30th and 31st.