Beginner’s Guide to Retreats

Tim Yelenic

My freshman retreat back in 2019!

Honora Quinn, Senior Editor

At Gibbons, if you haven’t been on a retreat you know someone who has. Additionally, there is one person who knows all the ins and outs of our retreat center and the groups that fill it, Ms. Anders. It’s been four years since everyone went on overnight retreats, the highlight amongst them being the mysterious seniors only, Kairos, and things have changed across the board. Learn more about the retreats you can go on and help with, courtesy of Ms. Anders and Ms. McElroy.

Freshman –

Where is it? Short Journey 

Who can go? Freshmen

Who can lead/help? Typically Sophomores

How long is it? Overnight!

What are a couple of words to describe it? Intro to high school. What do you want to get out of your four years? 

Sophomore – Service+Retreat

Where is it? Various Service Locations, Typically CPO then Short Journey.

Who can go? Sophomores by Advisory 

Who can lead/help?

How long is it? One day

What are a couple of words to describe it? Support your community outside Gibbons and then get to know your advisory community better!

Junior –

Where is it? Short Journey

Who can go? Juniors

Who can lead/help? Seniors

How long is it? One day

What are a couple of words to describe it? Destress from the pressure of the semester, play some games, and meet new people. 

My leader group from the January Kairos!

Senior – Kairos

Where is it? Short Journey.

Who can go? Seniors only.

Who can lead/help? Seniors who have already been on Kairos.

How long is it? Three days two nights.

What are a couple of words to describe it? Unlike anything you’ve experienced at Gibbons. 

What do you get out of retreats?

It changes from person to person but the bottom line is community. I went on the last Freshman overnight retreat in 2019 and it introduced me to one of my best friends at school. You get out of this process what you put into it and while not for everyone on the surface they provide a great opportunity to know your peers. Leading is a whole other story that I don’t want to spoil much of. Surface level: you get some service hours but it is also a transformative experience. You can help your fellow students dig deeper into themselves and also give back to the retreat with your service. Leading is a completely different experience that participating.

General word(s) of advice:

Have an open mind and just go. Allow yourself to meet people, be willing to make new friends, and most importantly, just go with the flow. 

Want to learn more about retreats?

Reach out to Ms. Anders ( CristaAnders@cghsnc.org ) or Ms. McElroy ( meredithmcelroy@cghsnc.org ) in the Spiritual Life Center!