The Student Voice of The Crusaders

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

5 Tips On How To Have The Best Time On The Freshmen Busch Gardens Trip

The freshman class trip to Busch Gardens is always a highlight of the first year of high school. Students meet their peers, interact with staff and educators, and enjoy a day at Busch Gardens Amusement Park in Williamsburg, Virginia.
You can choose from the extensive selection of thrilling roller coasters and activities, while spending time with friends. This year, the trip is on Saturday, Sept. 30th, spanning from 6:45 a.m. to 9 p.m., allowing for a day full of fun. Read below for what you (freshmen) need to know before attending.

1) The Basics: What To Pack

As for any trip you are planning to take, packing is important to guarantee a full day of enjoyment and without worries. There are always possibilities of unexpected events, so this packing list will ensure that you do not miss out on anything.

• Money- While students are in the park, they are responsible for paying for all food and trinkets they wish to buy. Having both cash and card can be useful, especially if some stands only take one or the other. Take extra cash, because you never know what to expect.
  • A Portable Charger- Besides money, this is arguably the most important thing. Every year phones die within a few hours of getting to the park. A charged phone is necessary to know what time it is, along with allowing for use of the Busch Gardens App, which can help you navigate throughout the park.
  • A Rain Jacket- If there is a chance of rain, you want to have a rain jacket to keep yourself dry.
  • Water and Snacks- The bus ride is long and the park can get very hot. Bring these items to help you stay hydrated and full of energy through the day.
  • Cards/games- Bringing games can be a great way to pass the long bus ride.
  • A Cinch Sack/Fanny Pack- Bringing a bag will help to keep all of your possessions together and prevent the loss of these items.

2) How To Dress

What you wear to Busch Gardens can be very important, based on the weather it is calling for. On all days you want to wear comfortable clothes. A t-shirt and shorts are your safest bet, as they are appropriate, but easy to move around in. Wearing dri-fit material can be helpful in the event that you get wet or rained on. You will want a sweatshirt for on the bus, as the ride can be very cold. Closed-toed shoes are a must bring because you are walking around the whole day. If it is calling for storms, bring a rain jacket, and maybe an extra pair of clothes. Note that whatever you decide to wear, it must follow dress code and be appropriate for the whole day.

3) The Bus Ride

One of the largest portions of the trip, having the essentials and inside tips can help ensure for the best bus ride possible. Buses for the freshman Busch Gardens trip are assigned randomly, to give students the opportunity to meet peers and connect with others. This is one of the best ways to make new friendships. Bringing games and group activities can incorporate everyone and allow for the inclusion of all. The biggest advice for freshmen is to use this experience as a way to get out of your comfort zone and meet others. Maybe it’s someone you have already met and want to get to know better, or maybe it’s someone you have never seen before. Nonetheless, this is considered by many the best place to socialize with others.

4) Food

Food at Busch Gardens is one of the biggest problems students find. Planning where to eat, when to eat, and what to eat can sometimes take away from the overall experience, as lines can be long for both rides and food. Packing little snacks, which are allowed in the park as long as they are 2 ounces or less, can help hold you over until you eat. Here are more recommendations for when and where to eat

When: The recommended times to eat are when you get to the park and before you leave. Eating as soon as you get to the park can allow for lines to be shorter and more of the day to ride roller coasters without the inconvenience of finding a place to eat and waiting in lines. Eating earlier in the day will also allow for shorter lines. As students are responsible for eating dinner before leaving the park, the end of the trip is the best time to do this. It is a good end to an exhilarating, but tiring day, and will ensure that you are not hungry as soon as you get on the bus. We recommend setting aside 30-45 mins to get food, as lines can get very long.

Where: Busch Gardens contains 9 different places to eat within the park. Aquitaine Refreshments and Bürgermeister’s Hideaway are quick stands that offer an assortment of cold drinks and smaller snacks, like churros, turkey legs, and pretzels. The German Pretzels restaurant is a favorite that offers several different types of soft pretzel and pretzel pizzas, along with slushies and other snacks. These quick and easy stops are easier to access and quickly grab a bite to eat. However, if students prefer a sit down meal, then Trapper’s Smokehouse may be the place to go, with chicken, brisket, and a selection of other entrees.

5) The Busch Gardens App 

The Busch Gardens App is a helpful tool that most people don’t know about. The app offers a park schedule, list of rides and experiences, restaurants, and everything you need to know about the facilities. In addition, this app provides an interactive map, where all attractions can be found, along with the average time it takes to walk to that location from where you are. This is an easy and accessible feature that can help you plan your day and have the most fun possible.