The Student Voice of The Crusaders

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

Field Hockey Wins State Champs for the First Time Ever!

For almost 115 years, Cardinal Gibbons has been the home of so many extraordinary students. Through sports, academics, arts, and more, students have been able to show off the best of their abilities and make our faculty, family, and community so very proud. 

Field hockey is a fairly new sport to the community here at Gibbons. Only starting in 2013, the team has already gained extraordinary players throughout its decade. Last year, the team came up short in the state championship title game. The defeat against Myers Park left a mark on all the players and they knew somehow they would fight again.

This year however, the defeat turned around and became a massive triumph.

Cardinal Gibbons took home the state champ title over Myers Park. The game went into overtime 1-1, but our ladies prevailed and scored the final goal to win 2-1. 

“We are just so happy for this team. They wanted this state title so much and worked hard for it. This group showed great determination in the close games all season, particularly the state final game which came down to the last few seconds of the regular time and then went into overtime,” coach Kelly Weimer said. “By the end of the season they showed that they understood how to work as a team and play off each other’s strengths- highlighted by the fact that in the final game, a brand new field hockey player and new to Gibbons student (Hannah Lawrie) scored to tie up the game and then a seasoned player, Lucie Burgess, scored in overtime to bring home the victory. They really learned to pass and score as a team to bring success as a team.”

Women’s field hockey started their road to the championship right, by earning the #1 spot in the conference. The road to their next victory started off with a 10-0 win against Northwest Guilford and continued by beating both Charlotte Catholic and Chapel Hill 2-1. After eight straight wins leading up to the final championship game, the women of Cardinal Gibbons defeated the final obstacle on their way to victory. 

Now, for the first time ever, the field hockey team can talk about their amazing season and the final game of a lifetime.

With the state championship under their belt, we all can’t wait to see what they have in store for next season.