The Student Voice of The Crusaders

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

The Road To The State Championship: Girls Cross Country Finishes Out Yet Another Dominant Season

Coming into this year, the girls cross country team already knew their goals for the end of the season. They were simple and straightforward: win the state championship and qualify for Nike Cross Nationals (the top two teams in the southeast region qualify for nationals in Oregon). 

Having previously won nine state championships in a row, from 2010-2018, the team has continued to be a powerhouse in the state. In 2021, the team finished third in North Carolina, only behind Weddington and Cuthbertson. Last year, in 2022, the team fought hard and placed a spot higher, this time in second.

Building on these performances, the expectation for this year was another high position at the state meet.

Finishing first at every invitational in 2023 – excluding the Great American XC Festival, where the team finished second – the stats speak for themselves. These runners performed in dominant fashion throughout the entire season.

Starting out on a high, the top five pulled out a thrilling performance, achieving a perfect score of 15 points at the Knights Crossing Invitational in Salem, Va., before piecing together wins at both Adidas XC Challenge and Milestat.com XC Invitational. Despite the hot weather, the team took first place at both the CAP-6 Championship and 4A East Regionals, with a 32-point difference between first and second at the latter.

Photos of the Wins at the Knights Crossing Invitational and Milestat.com XC Invitational

On Saturday, Nov. 5, the girls added yet another trophy to their collection, winning the 14th NCHSAA state championship won by girls cross country since 2005, when Cardinal Gibbons switched over from the NCISAA. The team took the first-place trophy by 45 points over five-time defending champion Cuthbertson High School. With a commendable performance by all of the runners, the top five members from Gibbons placed in the first 25 runners, and all seven runners were in the top third of the competition. 

Cardinal Gibbons Won the 4A Women’s Cross Country Championship in November 2023

When asked afterward what led to the win, the whole team agreed. “Emphasizing team.…It’s the love; the love that we have for each other.” Click Here To Watch The Full Interview

That quote speaks for itself.

It is the bond between the runners that keeps them in the race. They fight for their teammates, each and every time they step on the line. 

With one of their two goals now accomplished, the team is focused on the future, looking forward to NXR (Nike Cross Regionals) in two weeks.

The meet will take place on Nov. 19, at WakeMed Soccer Complex in Cary. It will host a variety of schools from different states, including Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia, Delaware, Georgia, Alabama, and Florida.

The Cardinal Gibbons girls cross country team will aim to finish as one of the top two teams, earning a place in the national competition in Portland, Oregon.