Spring Sports Updates: Post Season Preview

Baseball

• Record: 11-13 (7-3 in conference play)
  • Up Next: Playoffs begin on May 7

Holding an almost even record of 11-13, the Cardinal Gibbons baseball team enters the playoffs in a solid position. They finished third in the Cap-6 Conference and fell in the conference tournament semifinals. Individually, Bryce Fitzsimmons (Class of 2026) leads the team in seven different categories, including runs, hits, runs batted in, and home runs. The team hopes to continue their success into the playoffs and rally behind their majority upperclassmen roster to advance far in the tournament.

Boys Golf

• Up Next: 4A East regional is May 11

With regionals on the horizon, this team is looking to improve on their sixth place regionals finish last year and qualify for states. The boys golf team is led by four seniors: Cooper Lindsey, Matthew McCarthy, Max Newton, and Andrew Sevene. The group will look towards Andrew Sevene as a leader for the state championship after he qualified individually last year. Regionals for golf will occur on May 6 at the Treyburn Country Club.

Boys Lacrosse

• Record: 16-5 (10-0 in conference play)
  • Up Next: Playoffs begin on May 4

Coming off yet another impressive season, the Crusaders boys lacrosse team hopes to continue their winning streak and bring home an additional state championship following the path of the 2023 team. They boast a 16-5 record, with their game against Green Level being their only loss to a North Carolina team. The team occupies the top spot in the Cap-6 with an undefeated 10-0 record. Zach Kerner (Class of 2025) has the most goals with 50 and Brady Dolan (Class of 2024) sits right behind with a close 49 goals on the season. Defensively, Chris Schwartz (Class of 2024) leads the team with 80 saves. 

Girls Lacrosse

• Record: 15-4 (10-0 in conference play)
  • Up Next: Playoffs begin on May 4

Similar to the boys lacrosse team, the girls lacrosse team has also come off another unbelievable season with only four losses, all to teams from outside of the state. The team holds a 15-4 record with an undefeated 10-0 record in conference play. This talented group has four players with over 30 goals this season, with Charlotte Jackson (Class of 2024) leading the way with 33. Additionally, three of these same players also have 30 assists or more. Addie Brown (Class of 2026) leads the defense with 58 saves in goal.

Girls Soccer

• Record: 10-3-2 (6-0 in conference play)
  • Up Next: Regular season contests through May 10; Playoffs begin May 13

After starting off the season on a rough patch, the girls soccer team has pulled together and achieved a stretch of six wins with just a few games left in the regular season. They currently sit at first on top of the Cap-6 and hope to continue their undefeated streak in conference play, going into playoffs. The team is led for goals by Hailey Cuomo (Class of 2025) with six goals on the season while Nya Folk (Class of 2024) leads the team for assists, with seven.

Softball

• Record: 11-5 (9-1 in conference play)
  • Up Next: Conference tournament title on Thursday; Playoffs begin May 7

The Cardinal Gibbons softball team will be looking to improve in the playoffs on their conference championship this year. The team finished with a 9-1 record in the Cap-6, with their only loss coming against Broughton with a score of 9-7. Individually, Mallory Kelly (Class of 2027) leads the team for runs with 20 and Bridget Mazzo (Class of 2026) holds the top spot for hits (23) and runs batted in (21). The team plays in the conference tournament title on Thursday at home against Sanderson. With a strong ending to their season, this team is prepped and ready to take on any opponent in the playoffs and will be looking for a good outcome to advance toward the state championship.

Boys Tennis

• Record: 13-4 (8-2 in conference play)
  • Up Next: Playoffs begin May 1

With a great record for the regular season, the boys tennis team sat right behind Leesville Road in the Cap-6 Conference. The team has had recent success, winning six of their last seven matches and only losing by one point to their matchup with Leesville Road. Logan Jimenez (Class of 2024) highlights this talented team with six individual wins. As they go into the playoffs, this team looks like they are in great shape and will hopefully be seeing success after a season of hard work.

Track and Field

• Record: 5th in Cap-6 in boys, 3rd in girls
  • Up Next: Regionals on May 11

After hosting the Cap-6 Conference Championship this past weekend, placing fifth on the boys’ side and third on the girls’ and placing multiple individuals and relays at the top of the standings, the Crusaders track team will be looking towards regionals in two weekends on May 11. Multiple athletes from Cardinal Gibbons have already qualified for regionals and more may do so within the next week. The team has produced several high results over the spring season and hopes to continue to do so at regionals, where the top four in each event move on to the state meet.