Liam Hickey Wrestles His Way to the Top

Liam Hickey Wrestles His Way to the Top

Last month, junior Liam Hickey finished his impressive 2024 campaign by cementing himself as one of the best wrestlers in North Carolina. He ended the season with a near undefeated record of 49-1 and capped it off by becoming the N.C. High School Athletic Association 4A state champion for his weight class (138-pound class).

Interestingly enough, this is the second year in a row that our school has crowned a state champion with a near unbeaten record in the same season. Last year, 2023 graduate Tyler Tracy won the 145-pound state championship with the same exact record Hickey posted this year. 

Hickey has been a standout wrestler for quite some time now and this win finally put him over the top. Last year Hickey also had a near undefeated season at 43-2 but unfortunately did not make it to the state championship final match for the 126-pound weight class. Hickey still managed to finish third overall by winning out the consolation bracket, making him one of the top returners for his grade coming into this season. 

Hickey won his 2024 title over junior Jackson Rowling from Hough High School, which was a rematch of last year’s battle for third place in the state. 

The Crusaders had an impressive showing at the wrestling state championship meet this year with two top-five finishers (junior Spencer Sterling and junior Liam Hickey) and a state champion. The team has a lot of talent returning next year and has a potentially great season ahead.