Gibbons vs. Hoggard Football Preview

Gibbons vs. Hoggard Football Preview

It has been an exciting couple of weeks for the Gibbons football team. The Crusaders have won their last 10 games and have earned a spot in the final four of the N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs. 

This past Friday the team went up against the No. 1-seeded Rolesville on the Rams’ home field and managed to come away with the win in a close game that came down to the last minutes of play. Going into the fourth quarter the team was down 14-7 but they were able to bounce back and score three touchdowns to Rolesville’s one in the final quarter, winning the game 28-21. 

On the other side of the bracket, Weddington and Independence are facing off for the West regional championship at Weddington this Friday as well. 

The Crusaders are now preparing to play against their next opponent, Hoggard High School, for the regional championship and a spot in the state championship game.

The Hoggard Vikings are seeded third in the East region and have a record of 13-1. Their only loss this season was to the second seed Cleveland High School earlier in the season, who they also just beat this past Friday to get to the regional final.

On top of their impressive record and recent playoff performances, the Vikings are ranked as the number six team in the entire state across all divisions by MaxPreps entering the final four. Gibbons is 10th.

Despite the tough game ahead, the Crusaders should be as confident in their ability to win this game just as much as Hoggard considering we also have an impressive record and great playoff performances to back up that fact. 

The game will be held this upcoming Friday at Hoggard High School in Wilmington at 7 p.m. 

The game is expected to be a sell-out. Here’s the link for tickets: https://hoggard.nhcs.net/athletics/tickets