Hola Club: The Latino Space to be at

Darsey Williams

A group of students enjoying the potluck.

Sophia Hernandez, En Español Editor, Assistant Editor A + C Visual Art

With so much diversity in the Gibbons community, affinity groups help to showcase the culture students have to share. Coincidentally, the Hola club kicked off Hispanic Heritage Month with a potluck. Students of every grade level came to enjoy traditional Latino cuisine. The potluck was held in Mr. DeLaRosa’s room, and many HOLA club members brought food to share. Various typical dishes were served, such as tamales, empanadas, conchas, and tres leches. The room was filled with laughter and music, and everyone enjoyed the delicious dishes and each other’s company. As the potluck came to a close, everyone left the room with a full stomach and a smile on their face.

The club has also hosted many other successful events, such as Movie Night, a collaboration with the cooking club to make empanadas, and the Cinco de Mayo party. Looking ahead, the club has many more fun things planned ranging from social, service, spiritual, and educational events. One hope for the future includes training members of the club to act as ambassadors for Spanish-speaking families interested in joining the Gibbons community. Mr. DeLaRosa’s goal for Hola was to make the Gibbons community more aware of the diversity the school has and to have a space where everyone can see what Latino culture has to offer.

Hola Club began to form last year when a couple of Latino students began to hang out in Mr. DeLaRosa’s room after school. Mr. DeLaRosa noticed the connection the students had grown, and how much fun they had together. After speaking with Mrs. Taylor, the idea of an affinity group had been set in motion. The club served as a supportive and welcoming place, as students from different backgrounds came together to experience Latino culture. Students had a positive reaction to the club, and the meetings were well attended. 

“In one of the first meetings, we asked ‘Should we only be for Latinos?’ and it was an immediate no, we’re gonna invite anybody who wants to come! So it’s been really neat to see our meetings with a mixed group of people, which is good because I think it also shows the rest of the community what kind of fun we can have,” said DeLaRosa.

With a group of passionate people in the club and many exciting events on the horizon, the Hola club is definitely worth stopping by.