The Student Voice of The Crusaders

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

Opinion: The Real Scare this Year — No Costumes at Gibbons!

As the leaves turn to vibrant shades of orange and red and the scent of pumpkin spice fills the air, the crisp autumn air reminds us it’s time to celebrate the season of Halloween. It’s a time of jack-o’-lanterns, candy corn, and the most awaited aspect, costumes! 

This year, however, changes have been made regarding allowing costumes into Gibbons this year. This imposing announcement has caught almost the whole school completely off guard and now begs the question: why? 

The tradition of wearing Halloween costumes to school is more than just dressing up; it’s an opportunity for everyone to express themselves and build a sense of unity, especially in close-knit communities such as Gibbons. That’s why when the announcement that Halloween costumes were not allowed this year was first released, I immediately was filled with a sense of confusion mixed with anger. 

Wearing Halloween costumes had always evoked a sense of happiness and harmless fun in my mind, that’s why I was so confused as to why they were being banned. 

As I talked to peers about this confounding new rule, most seemed to agree with me that by losing our right to wear Halloween costumes in school, we had lost a shred of our childhood and imagination as well.

Costumes also provided the significant positive effects of unity within a community. When everyone in a school participated, it broke down social barriers and promoted a feeling of togetherness. In a world where cliques and divisions can be all too common, I think bonding over a shared tradition of Halloween costumes in a school community could be helpful in creating new friendships. While there are valid arguments against wearing Halloween costumes in school, such as distractions and potential dress code violations, these concerns shouldn’t overshadow the many benefits. 

Last year, because of the expectation that students would wear inappropriate or distracting costumes, there was a measure in place that required students to wear a wristband to show that their costume had been school-approved. But because of complications with the system and with how many students would be dressing up, it seems that the whole idea of wearing costumes has just been discarded. 

Of course some costumes can be distracting, but I see no reason why a balance couldn’t be struck between allowing creative expression and maintaining a productive learning environment.

However, it’s worth acknowledging that as I researched what schools were still allowing students to wear costumes, I found that many schools, including ours, had decided to forego the tradition of wearing Halloween costumes to school to maintain a more focused learning environment. 

While these reasons are valid, it’s still difficult not to feel a sense of nostalgia for the joy of pretending to be your favorite character for a day.

This drastic change was prompted by a series of discussions. Many teachers also found it challenging to manage classrooms when students arrived in elaborate outfits. 

“Sometimes on that day, it’s really, really hard to teach. Right?! You’ve got three inflatable dinosaurs in your room,” said Mr. Rogosich.  

Ultimately, it seems that the decision to transition to a dress-down day was driven by a desire to reduce stress and maintain a focused learning environment.

With the elimination of costumes, Gibbons’ Halloween traditions are also affected in terms of the day’s layout. The annual costume parade, once a highlight, can no longer take place since costumes are no longer a part of the celebration. 

Because costumes are canceled this year, and unlikely to return, new alternative ways to celebrate Halloween have been introduced. So, as we embrace the decision not to wear Halloween costumes in school this year, let’s remember the lessons we’ve learned from years past.  

It was fun while it lasted, and we still have memories and fun photos to share. 

But not all is not lost! Gibbons will now have the chance to express their Halloween spirit through some other alternatives, including a Pumpkin/Hay Bale Photo Shoot and through a Dual Advisory Halloween Party. Also on the day of Halloween, Tuesday the 31st,  instead of costumes, Gibbons staff and students will be allowed to dress in Halloween-themed attire.

So even though we lost a shred of Halloween spirit because of the decision to remove costumes, we can still represent the season by wearing an array of spooky themed clothing.

In the end, the power of Halloween costumes lies not just in the act of wearing them but in the spirit they embody. We can carry that spirit with us, reminding ourselves that creativity, unity, and self-expression should be cherished values that extend far beyond a day of dressing up.