The Student Voice of The Crusaders

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

The Gibbons Globe

Here’s What Gibbons Students Have to Say About Community Time

Community time and house meetings are new for the entire Gibbons community this year. There are varying opinions on the benefit of twenty minutes between the first and second class.

As for the intention of Community Time, Sutton Stump (Class of 2024), explained, “I’d say the main goal was to enhance the Advisory Program and keep it a strong part of our system, and doing that they created the houses and they divided Advisory and Community Time. Community Time has a good balance that allows for students to still be at school but also be together and in their houses which builds community outside of Advisory.”

Sutton is a senior and a St. Monica House Leader. He plays an active role in facilitating and managing Community Time.  He works alongside other educators to make sure that students have ample opportunities to utilize the time to their advantage. 

“All students do their own things, and as the year goes on… there’ll be a lot more engagement,” Sutton Stump (Class of 2024) said.  “…sports, hanging out with friends, eating, or Holy Grounds.”

Benefits:

1. For many, community time allows them to connect with their peers and grow relationships.  Many claim that it allows them to “spend time with… friends outside of classes, especially with friends [they] don’t have classes with” (Miriam Carey, Class of 2025).
  2. Likewise, Miriam also mentioned the benefit of conversing with students in other grade levels.  “It allows grades to intermingle whereas advisory is a very small group of people,” she said.  Students also have chances to socialize with students from other grades.
  3. While some enjoy socializing and hanging out with friends, others like Grayson Conner (Class of 2025) utilize the time to advance in their studies.  Conner said, “Honestly, it’s just extra time for me to catch up on what I need [to] do.”
  4. Overall, Gibbons students seem to enjoy the “freedom,” as Kara Dinker (Class of 2026) puts it.  Having the freedom and independence to learn how to manage time with the help of peers and educators is crucial for developing life skills for now and in the future.

Drawbacks:

1. While the time is much appreciated, some students like Carey also “feel like if it was longer it would be beneficial” but also understand that “we can’t take more time away from classes.”  The time is valued, so students wish it lasted longer to enjoy.
  2. On the other hand, some students feel that it would be best if eliminated since it is only a twenty-minute block.  By eliminating it from the schedule, they said that it would allow students to leave school significantly earlier and therefore, have a longer afternoon for their own time.
  3. Others, like Conner, hope Community Time will continue to develop. “I don’t know.  I can’t really think of a better solution but for the time being, it works.  It’s not the best system, but it’s bearable.”