Gibbons Drama Presents: Tim Minchin & Dennis Kelly’s “Matilda”

Gibbons Drama Presents: Tim Minchin & Dennis Kellys Matilda

This March, the Gibbons Drama program is presenting its production of Matilda the Musical, written by Tim Minchin and Dennis Kelly. The cast of Matilda, a group of Gibbons students with many different backgrounds and talents, is performing this exciting show in the Mainstage Theater the weekends of March 15 and 21. 

Mr. Kevin Ferguson, both the Head of the Fine Arts Department and a Drama/Musical Theater educator, is directing this spring’s production of Matilda. He believes this is the most demanding show he has directed since Hairspray in 2019. Under Ferguson’s direction, the cast, crew, and production team of students and educators have dedicated over two months of time to rehearsing for this challenging and thrilling show.

Matilda is a musical adventure about the power of storytelling and imagination, based on the original novel by Roald Dahl. Matilda Wormwood is a young girl in a neglectful household with her loud and manipulative parents. She is taunted by them for devoting herself to reading and cleverness. Her closest friend is the local librarian whom she tells lively stories to daily. Matilda is enrolled in the infamous Crunchem Academy and is warned of the evil principal named Ms. Agatha Trunchbull. Her teacher, Ms. Honey, is a gentle and kind woman who immediately recognizes Matilda’s brilliance and is determined to help her foster her skills. Matilda realizes that if her and the other children rebel and revolt, they may be able to take down the Trunchbull.

“It’s such a tight-knit community,” said Caleb Zedek (Class of 2026) when asked what he loves about Gibbons Drama. “It was a great way to make best friends, especially when I was a freshman coming into the program. Everyone is willing to help each other. It’s a very cooperative space.”

Zedek has performed in two of Gibbons’ previous productions and is a part of the Drama Leadership Team. He is portraying a silly, plump boy named Bruce in Matilda. Throughout rehearsals, he has learned so much about improving vocal and acting skills.

When asked why people should see the show, Zedek said, “Because it’s just so awesome. It took such hard work for months for such a great product.”

Tim Minchin is the composer and lyricist of Matilda. He is a British-Australian composer, writer, actor, singer, poet, songwriter, and comedian. He created and performed in touring solo musical comedies, as well as made appearances on television and radio shows. Following his completion of music and lyrics for Matilda in 2010, he wrote a musical adaptation of Groundhog Day. His colleague Dennis Kelly, who wrote the book for Matilda, is a British writer and producer. He authored, produced, and won awards for numerous plays, one of his most popular being After the End. Kelly wrote Matilda’s libretto, winning a Tony Award for “Best Book of a Musical” in 2013. 

Make sure to come see Caleb and the rest of the cast of Matilda in a night of extraordinary storytelling, singing, and dancing! Matilda runs for two weekends, closing March 23. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased at http://cghsnc.org/fine-arts/drama starting Monday, March 11. They usually sell out fast, so purchase yours soon!

Musical Schedule:

March 15 (7 p.m.), March 16 (7 p.m.), March 21 (7 p.m.), Mar. 22 (7 p.m.), Mar. 23 (2:30 p.m. & 7 p.m.)