Categories:

Mrs. Gallagher: 30 Years of Lancer Club and Her Impact on Gibbons

Mrs. Patricia Gallagher is one of the most loved and respected teachers at Cardinal Gibbons. Most know her as their freshman year theology teacher, and a person that has stuck with them for a lifetime.

Mrs. Gallagher has been running the Lancer Club since 1994 making it one of the oldest clubs in the school, impacting the lives of students for 30 years. 

Lancer Club is a service club that partners with Ronald McDonald House in Durham.

Ronald McDonald House is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting families with sick children who are struggling, providing a temporary shelter and home for families of children who are receiving treatment from area medical facilities. 

The club’s mission is to bring joy to the kids and families who are involved in the program, and to support these people in a desperate time of need.

“I always had the feeling that I wanted to serve others, and I feel like starting the Lancer Club in 1994 was one of the ways students could be involved,” said Mrs. Gallagher.

Lancer Club is an extracurricular not many people may know about, but is definitely worth investing your time in. Not only is it a great service opportunity, but it allows you to build relationships and a community with other members, Mrs. Gallagher, and Ronald McDonald House employees. 

The club is also a great resource to learn more about the medical field, and to gather information about future career choices.

“Many people want to work in a healthcare profession or nursing, so touring and working at the Ronald McDonald House gives them the knowledge to select other fields in the medical area,” Mrs. Gallagher said.

Not only has Mrs. Gallagher generously brought this club to Gibbons, but she has brought joy to all of her students in her time here.

Whenever you hear someone talking about Mrs. Gallagher they always have a smile on their face, and a funny story to tell.

“Working with young people has given me a sense of patience and it has in some way kept me young, and bottom line it has helped me be a better mother,” Mrs. Gallagher said.