Categories:

Is GFS Important for the Freshman Curriculum?

Gibbons Freshman Seminar is a mandatory class for all freshmen. GFS highlights the skills needed to be a successful student and prepares freshmen for the next four years of high school.

GFS is an opportunity for freshmen to meet new people and build new relationships, while learning about themselves and other students in the process. GFS has various opinions among students and educators.

“(GFS) covers graduation requirements, like the health credit, and tries to install good habits in freshmen,” said. Mrs. Kendra Burns, a GFS educator.

Mrs. Burns covers the value of the class as a whole, and how they are teaching freshman knowledge needed to thrive, earlier than before. A survey sent to 40 sophomore students on the topic of GFS as a whole, showed that 75 percent of students feel as if the class taught them helpful technology tips to succeed at Gibbons. 

“It teaches real life tech tips so it helps students be successful digitally,” Mrs. Burns said.

At Gibbons, technology is of utmost importance, most students using it in every class. Knowing these helpful hints will help students become more comfortable with the technology, so they can be more prepared for the rest of the classes in their schedule.

GFS is also known to be an easy way for students to have a good grade. In fact, 75 percent of students who answered the survey also stated that GFS was an “easy” class as long as work was turned in on time. 

Even with an “A” in the class, some students worry it can be damaging to their GPA.

Students also had concerns about what impact GFS has on their academic coursework and GPA. With this, many students believe the class is not educational, and history may be more important, which could include opportunities for Honors or AP credit. 

When asked, 60 percent of survey takers suggested history would be a better option, and colleges would prefer to see this on applications. 

History may be more beneficial for college applications, but GFS helps students achieve goals now. Every year, teachers revisit the curriculum to see what works best.

With all the changes in the program over the last few years, the class evolves with what’s new in the freshman class, which can help personalize the topics needed for freshmen to advance to a higher level of education.

GFS may seem like an unnecessary class to some, but in reality, educators believe it is helping freshmen start at the same level after coming from several different middle schools. 

History may be more beneficial for college applications, but GFS helps students achieve goals now.

“GFS really sets up the newest members of our schools,” Mrs. Burns said.