Categories:

Recapping the Baseball Team’s Historic Playoff Run from Last Spring

Recapping the Baseball Team's Historic Playoff Run from Last Spring

Cardinal Gibbons made school history in varsity baseball during the 2024 season. By reaching the state playoff semifinals, they made it further in the postseason than any other Crusader baseball team since 1979.

The Crusaders didn’t start the season the way they would’ve hoped, going 10-12 in the regular season. They were missing key players because of injuries and winter sports overlapping, so the team wasn’t complete until midway through April. 

“As far as the rough start, every year we play a very competitive schedule,” Coach Jim Liebler said. 

And indeed it was, for 13 of the 22 games that Gibbons played in the regular season were against teams that ended up in the state playoffs. 

Team captains Cam Tarkenton, Damon Philips, and Griffin Jackson realized that their season wasn’t going to plan, and something needed to change.

“There was a game we didn’t play our best, and the captains, me especially, kind of got on (the team), saying we have to change something if we want to make the state playoffs,” Tarkenton said. “I don’t know what it was, but after that a light switch just flipped and we turned into something I never saw coming.”

The playoff run was historic, but everyone was a bit surprised, especially given their schedule. Being the 22nd seed in the East already came with its challenges, but Gibbons started their run against two conference teams, Leesville Road and Broughton, who had both beaten them in the regular season. After Gibbons won those two games, they faced Wake Forest and D.H. Conley, the 2nd and 3rd seeds in the region. Despite the very good teams, they were able to take them both down to advance to the regional finals. 

In the East Regional Finals, Gibbons played the 1st seed, the Ashley Screaming Eagles, in a best-of-3 games series. They lost the first game, but got to play at home for the first time in the playoffs for Game 2. 

“That was an amazing feeling…they played awesome, they won and it was the biggest crowd I’ve seen in 28 years,” Coach Liebler proclaimed proudly. 

Gibbons ended up losing to Ashley in a winner-take-all Game 3 of the regional finals, with a heartbreaking score of 1-0, with Ashley winning in walk-off fashion in the last inning. However, each and every one of those players fought so hard for their team, and each other. 

The Crusaders’ Cinderella playoff run was truly inspiring, not just for the fans and students at Gibbons, but for the players and coaches as well. With most of the team returning for the upcoming 2025 season, hopes are high for yet another amazing season. 

Recap of Every Playoff Game for the Crusaders:

1st Round: Away vs Leesville Road: 9-3 Victory

The Crusaders kicked off their playoff run by knocking off a huge division rival. Cam Tarkenton went 2-for-4 for 4 RBIs and a homer on the day. He also started on the mound, and threw six innings in pursuit to the first Gibbons win of the playoffs.

2nd Round: Away vs Broughton: 11-1 Victory

Despite losing the first two games they played against Broughton earlier in the season, Gibbons flew past the Capitals in the second round. Jakub Mudd went 3-for-3 with 3 RBIs and a home run during the game. Griffin Jackson threw a complete game on the mound, as the Crusaders won their second playoff game in mercy rule fashion. 

3rd Round: Away vs D.H. Conley: 2-0 Victory

The Crusaders played their third game against the 3-seed in their region. It was a pitching duel all the way through, as Peter Hoffman, Jackson, and Tarkenton combined for 13 strikeouts. Jakub Mudd, still on his high horse, came in clutch with a 2-run hit in the 10th which is all Gibbons needed to move on to the “elite eight.” 

Quarter Finals: Away vs Wake Forest: 7-6 Victory

Just two days later, Gibbons faced the 2-seed, the Wake Forest Cougars. Tarkenton had 3 RBIs and a homer. Damon Philips, Sam Daeke, and Will Evans all also had an RBI. Hoffman shut it down in the last two innings and the Crusaders held on to advance to the Regional Finals.

Away vs Ashley: 3-2 Defeat

As expected, the Regional Finals would not be  easy, especially against the one seed Ashley Screaming Eagles for a best-of-3 series. Tarkenton pitched a great game, going seven innings and striking out seven. But an unfortunate error allowed the Screaming Eagles to walk it off in the 9th and take Game 1 of the series. 

Home vs Ashley: 3-1 Victory

The Crusaders finally got to play at home in the playoffs, and didn’t disappoint. Jackson had an amazing performance on the mound, going 6.2 innings and allowing just one run. Philips drove in two, and Mudd drove in one, as the Crusaders took Game 2 of the Regional Finals. 

Away vs Ashley: 1-0 Defeat

The last game of the season came with heartbreak. Owen Hines pitched an amazing game, but unfortunately, in the bottom of the last inning, the Screaming Eagles hit a walk-off single, ending the Crusaders’ season.