The Gibbons Globe for 2023-24 (missing a few students!)
Categories:

From the Editor: Welcome Back to The Gibbons Globe!

Over the past year and a half, The Gibbons Globe has made itself into a prominent piece of our school and has provided students and facilities alike with a voice in our community. 

Last fall, The Gibbons Globe expanded with the addition of a full two semester class called Newspaper Honors, taught by English teacher and sports journalist J. Mike Blake. A huge positive of the class was that the Globe was able to have a focused group of students dedicated to writing stories for our Gibbons community.

However, because it was the inaugural year for the class, the number of students was quite limited. The class consisted of only eight writers; five sophomores, two seniors and one junior boy, which was me.

Despite these obstacles, we were able to grow the paper to new heights. Throughout the calendar school year, the class alone was able to produce over 86 articles in counting. 

As Editor-in-Chief this year, I share a common goal along with the rest of the reporters in this year’s class which is to keep expanding on what was built before even more. 

With the staff more than doubled, the classroom twice as large, and the amount of stories brewing in the newsroom increasing, we are dedicated to writing more authentic and impactful stories that can be appreciated by our entire student body.

As a previous sports reporter at the Chatham News and Record, I joined The Gibbons Globe last year with an interest in sport journalism and was convinced my role as a reporter on the paper was solely athletics-related.

As I started contributing to more stories outside of athletics throughout the year, my belief in that sentiment drastically changed. This shift unknowingly made me a better writer and helped me appreciate the different facets of not only journalism but Cardinal Gibbons.

Writing for some of my own stories and reading works from other reporters on the staff made me realize this school has a lot to offer and much of it goes under the radar. Last year alone, I found out about more drama events, club meetings, global trips, sport events, and public opinion on certain issues than I ever knew about during my previous two years at Gibbons.

As Editor-in-Chief, I want this reality to be shared with not only just other students on the staff, but students reading the paper as well. A mission of the Globe this year is to touch on every aspect of Cardinal Gibbons and connect with areas of our school that might not get substantial attention or notice.

From the playing field to the theater room, we believe it is our job to highlight all areas of our diverse community all year long.