Categories:

The Successes of the Cardinal Gibbons Volleyball Team

The women’s volleyball team certainly does not lack talent with their continual college commits, including Charlotte Bell at Wofford College, Genevieve Harris at Texas, Mary Grace Gonyeau at University of Virginia, and Alina Ryan at UCLA. Not only does the team have multiple college commits, but each and every player continues to improve by the day. 

Among those is Hailey Mueller, who team captain Charlotte Bell said has “done a great job stepping into a leadership role.” 

Speaking of leadership, the captains leading this driven team are Genevieve Harris, Charlotte Bell, and Alina Ryan. They have led the team to a 16-0 record. 

So far, the most challenging games of the season were against Apex and Green Level. The team was able to break the three-year streak of losing against Green Level, and only dropped one set to them. Additionally, the out-of-conference Apex game was challenging for the team, but they were able to pull through and continue their winning streak. 

Although the team has shown great improvement and confidence, there is still competition that has also shown improvement from the past years, Broughton and Leesville Road being the top two. Both teams have club players making them fierce opponents, but Gibbons has proven to be on top by dominating the court. 

The team believes they have a strong chance of making it to the end and taking home the N.C. High School Athletic Association 4A title. If the team continues to show the determination and focus they have shown so far, there is no doubt they’ll make it to the end.

“The talent is there, the focus is there, and it’s an outstanding group of girls,” Bell said. “I think we can make it all the way to states.”